The New York State School Tax Relief (STAR) program is offered by the Office of Real Property Tax Services, a division of the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance. It provides a partial exemption/credit from school property taxes for all residential, owner occupied, primary residences, depending on your income.
New STAR applicants must apply directly with New York State Department of Taxation and Finance. Basic STAR online registration or call (518) 457-2036
Recent Changes to Basic STAR:
- The Basic STAR exemption/credit is available to anyone who owns and lives in his or her home and earns less than $500,000.
- If your income is more than $250,000, you will no longer receive STAR as an exemption. If eligible, you will receive a check for the STAR credit instead of the reduction on your school tax bill. These homeowners will be notified directly by NYS DTF. Most homeowners will not need to take additional action. The letter you receive (Form RP-425-RDS) confirms that, as long as you are eligible, DTF will issue your STAR credit check. Some homeowners, however, must provide additional information before DTF can issue a check for the STAR credit. These individuals will receive a letter (Form RP-425-RDM) explaining how to update their registration. After DTF confirms eligibility, their STAR credit check will be issued.
- If you currently receive your STAR benefit as a reduction on your school tax bill (the STAR exemption), you may receive a greater benefit if you switch to the STAR credit to receive a check instead. Register for STAR Credit.
Please visit The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance website or contact them directly at (518) 457-2036 for more details.
The Enhanced STAR benefit is available to all senior citizens whose property is the primary residence of at least one of the owners. Owners must be 65 years of age or older, on or before December 31st, and meet income qualifications. For jointly owned property, only one spouse or sibling must be at least 65 by December 31st. Beginning in 2019, all Enhanced STAR applicants are required to participate in the Income Verification Program (IVP).
ENHANCED STAR (65+, income limit)
- If you are currently enrolled in the Basic STAR program and receive the exemption on your school tax bill, please contact our offices for more information about switching from Basic to Enhanced.
- In the first year that you switch from the Basic exemption to the Enhanced exemption, the assessor will verify your eligibility based on the income information you provide. In the following years, NYS DTF will verify your income eligibility. You will typically not need to reapply for the exemption or provide copies of your tax returns to the assessor.
- New STAR applicants must apply directly with New York State Department of Taxation and Finance. ENHANCED STAR online application or call (518) 457-2036
If you currently receive your STAR benefit as a reduction on your school tax bill (the STAR exemption), you may receive a greater benefit if you switch to the STAR credit to receive a check instead. Register for STAR Credit.
Property owners without access to a computer can register by phone weekdays from 8:30am to 4:30pm at (518) 457-2036
For detailed information regarding the Tax Freeze Credit and the Family Tax Relief Credit, please visit the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance website.